On-Line Instruction Manual Changes
Between version 01 of the Furby Instruction Manual and version 05, several changes were made, some small and some more noticeable. I have changed some of the content of my online version to reflect the newest manual. While I will add stuff, I won't delete anything so my version is a sort of mesh between new and original content.
The differences I found between the first manual that came with the original six Furbys and the 'new generation' Furbys and new colors are listed below:
- The story of Furby was changed. The following line has been deleted from the back of the box: "but each Furby has it's own name/so no two Furbys are the same"
And this line out of the manual in The Story of Furby: "some had tails, and some had manes/but no two Furbys where the same"
I assume this is to get rid of callers that happen to have two Furbys with the same names. Furby only has 24 names, and it's picked at random on start up. I'm sure this line has caused lots of phone calls to Tiger, because it sure gave me lots of email!
- The section under "Before we can play" called "Shut Down" has been taken out of the manual (but not taking off of my manual online) of the newest release Furbys. I'm unsure of why it was deleted. The original text missed part of a sentence and was worded badly anyway.
- In the section "Getting to Know Me..." the following lines no longer appear in the newest manuals: "Furbys can see and are very sensitive to light. And best of all, Furbys have BIG hearts! This illustration shows where my sensors are located." This text was located between the first paragraph and the image of Furbys sensors. They are still present on my manual.
- In the last picture of "Getting to Know Me..." section, the bottom image shows a Furby being hugged. In the old manual it shows a persons fingers across his tummy. In the new manual it shows only the thumbs on his tummy (the current image I have on my page). I have no idea why the change.
- In the section "My Name is..." under 1) it talks about his name and gives an example. The new instructions give the example with ()'s around the sentence and they added quotes around "Me Noo Loo" and "Noo Loo" in that sentence.
- In the section "Playing Together" They added the last sentence: You can learn more about me by visiting my own WEB SITE at www.furby.com.
- Under "Other Activities: Sleep" They added the section on Deep Sleep Mode. This mode only works for the newest generation Furbys and will not work on the original six Furbys. This is a wonderful new feature!
- On "Games Furbys Love To Play" area, they put "Furby Says" in italics and added quotes around the title. They did not do this with the other game titles, though.
- In the new manual under Communicating with Other Furbys they have the same two images, but they made a typo. The paragraph above the image of the 4 Furbys talking the last sentence is "The illustration below shows how this works:" and the paragraph beneath that image starts out like "It is fun to get me to start talking to other Furbys..". Well they changed this and it's actually a typo now. The last sentence in the paragraph before the image of the 4 talking Furbys now reads: "The illustration below shows how this worIt is fun" The paragraph below the 4 Furbys continues the sentence "to get me to start talking..." I didn't change that in my manual as it seems no reason to make the same typo they did.
- If I want to be really picky, I'll note that in the instructions to do the Deep Sleep mode, they made a note down at the bottom. In the note they write "The only exception to this is when you have to press my Back and FRont switches at the same..." They capitalized that "r" in "front". But that's getting picky. :)
- Under the section on "Replacing Batteries" They added another 'helpful tip'. The line is this line: *******HELPFUL TIP: You will be able to tell when my batteries wear out because my behavior will become erratic and I will begin to not always respond to my sensors properly. If this happens, replace my batteries and I should return to normal!
- On the very last page of the manual they printed that Furby complies with FCC regulations and told under what conditions, etc. I typed it out just so you could see it. It is somewhat humorous when you think about Furby in relation to those paragraphs.
- The book is now more of a slick, smoother, shiny paper, kinda glossy, instead of the old regular paper it used to be printed on.
Furby, Furbish, and all related is ®, TM,& ©Tiger Electronics, LTD. USA
Back to Furby main
Back to main page